Doing any Oregon river tubing this summer? Here is your simple guide to river fun:
1. Find a few friends
2. Head to Popina Swimwear to pick up your Portland inner tube, a purchase that helps out Willamette Riverkeepers.
3. Take 2 cars out to Dodge Park on the Sandy River, only a 20 minute drive from Portland (Exit 12 from I-205)
Did you know that an electric trolley used to bring people out to Dodge Park to go to the river?? Why did that end?
4. Park one car where you plan to end up at the end of your float.
5. Scope out the end-of-float site to familiarize yourself with the surroundings. This will make it easier to figure out when you’re supposed to stop floating!
6. Everyone hop in ONE car
7. Drive upstream. Remember, driving takes a lot less time than floating, so don’t go too far. (I made this mistake once and floated for 5 hours as the sun was setting!! Brr.)
8. Park the car and leave everything you can live without:
You CANNOT live without your keys to the other vehicle (keep them in a Ziploc baggie). A fanny pack is nice to put all these things in.
9. FLOAT ON! Like Modest Mouse, ya’ll.