Snowboarders and skiers, get ready to launch yourself across 90 feet of frigid water at the 4th annual Sno-Kona Pond Skim, where you can win a free trip for two to Hawaii. Brought to you by Kona Brewing Company, the Sno-Kona Pond Skim takes place Saturday, April 24 at Mt. Hood Meadows with festivities kicking into high gear from 11 AM - 4 PM. The day will be jam-packed with live music, Polynesian décor, leis and other giveaways, many on-snow high jinks and of course, plentiful Kona beer sampling. The tension builds throughout the day with all contestants vying for the grand prize of a trip for two to Oahu, including round trip airfare and hotel, courtesy of All About Hawaii.
At halftime of the show Popina will be doing a swimwear fashion show, it will be hot, hopefully the models will not melt the snow!
Registration is open! The field is limited to 100 competitors who will take a qualifying run, and if they make it across the pond they’ll advance to the skim-offs. The Pond Skim will be ran in reverse order of registration - those who register last will skim across the pond first. All competitors must be 21 or over.
The Pond Skim’s local celebrity judges will include weather and all-around outdoors guru Matt Zaffino from KGW-TV, 105.9 The Brew afternoon radio personality Bozyk, “Squid” from 94.7 and Brad from All About Hawaii. Judging will be based on: best skimming style, best costume, best showmanship, and best crowd reaction while skimming the pond. While the grand prize winner nabs the trip to Hawaii, the second and third place winners, along with those that win the Best Splash, Best Costume and Best Impression Made by a Female categories will receive great prizes as well!
- First Place - Trip for 2 to Hawaii, KEEN shoes, KEEN messenger bag, $25 REI gift certificate
- Second Place - Kona Prize Pack (includes two beach chairs, skimboard, backpack cooler, Kona beach towel, set of 12 Kona glasses), KEEN shoes, Yakima Fatcat 4 ski rack, $25 REI gift certificate
- Third Place - $50 Bamboo Grove Restaurant gift certificate, KEEN messenger bag, Yakima Big Powderhound ski rack, $25 REI gift certificate
- Best Costume - Snowboard provided by Monster Energy
- Best Costume - Yakima Big Powderhound Ski Rack
- Best Splash - Snowboard provided by Monster Energy
- Best Splash - Yakima Fatcat 4 Ski Rack
- Best Impression Made by a Female - Dakine Freestyle Bag provided by REI
- Best Impression Made by a Female - REI Ski Bag
- Longest Run by a Female - $75 Popina Gift Certificate
- Best Splash by a Female - $75 Popina Gift Certificate
Cost to participate in the Pond Skim is $25 per entrant, which includes a complimentary Kona beach towel. Pre-registration will close on Friday, April 23rd, at 5 PM. Day of registration may be open depending on availability, at $40 per entrant. The event date will be changed to Sunday, April 25th, in the case of inclement weather.
Time: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Phone Number: 503.659.1256